Wednesday, May 13, 2009

More Octopusousouses and new books


So I was at my haunted office and I was thinking more about The Octopus. Obvious Spider man villain comparisons aside... I reckon he makes for an interesting chracter. I'm sure visually, an artist would have a lot of fun with the guy. Which is probably why Spidy's arch nemesis is such a great bad guy.


I also got me some cool Sci Fi books today. 1966 editions of E.E. 'Doc' Smith's 1930s master works. Got one of his SkyLark books and five of the Lensman books.

I actually went looking for some simple pulp fiction sci-fi books today. Like the books that aren't your Asimovs or your Philip K. Dicks (He he). I just wanted to read some cheap retro- sci fi fun.

But instead I found these beauties...

I love Retro Sci fi... there's just a certain 'magic' to them that I find lacking in todays modern sci fi. Now days so much has been grounded in reality... the suspension of disbelief isn't as high as it used to be. But back in the 30s to the early 60s... they wrote about sci fi at a time when man hadn't even been to the moon.


It pushed the imagination to massive heights... without a fear of not being too practical. Not that these works were so 'out there' that they became crazy. The big guns like Clarke, Asimov, Heinlein and Dick (he he) wrote a lot of things that made the scientific mind boggle in excitement.

Plus I just love them retro covers :D

Dick

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...